I lost my campaign for Democratic National Committee (DNC) member. But we won at the Iowa State Convention. We even won in California, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, and Washington at their State Conventions.
Thank you everyone who volunteered for me and donated money to me. You really did help me get many votes at the convention. Thank you! It was a lot of work.
I am proud to say that my campaign stayed positive and never spoke negatively towards my opponent, we never called up delegates to spread negative messages.
While I campaigned I spoke about who I am and what I planned to do. I spoke about my values. I am proud to have run a positive campaign for the DNC.
Our convention was as usual dramatic and drawn out. It was about a 19-hour event that began at 9am and ended around 3am.
During this exciting and dramatic convention, we won more seats on the State Central Committee, we held our national delegate count, and had many victories on the platform.
- Calling for single-payer health care
- Support of the death with dignity act
- Protecting LGBTQIA elders against discrimination
- Support of insurance coverage for transgender related healthcare
- Support of equal human rights for Palestinians and Israelis
- Support of Palestinian statehood/UN membership
- Opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Opposition to fast-tracking trade agreements
- Support of tuition-free state colleges/universities
- Calling for 100% renewable energy by the year 2025
Following four separate votes the convention decided to abolish superdelegates. The last vote was round midnight when a petition was submitted to remove the superdelegates plank to make the platform silent on the issue. However, this was another win for us when the motion failed on a voice vote.
In California, the State Democratic Convention called for the elimination of caucuses and most superdelegates.
The convention passed a resolution that takes away the voting status of Democratic governors and members of Congress. However members of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) would remain superdelegates and be tied to the vote of their constituency.
At the Missouri State Democratic Convention, more Bernie Sanders delegates showed up than Hillary Clinton delegates. Making Missouri another Bernie state. Bernie had 681 state delegates which equals 37 pledged national delegates and Hillary had 644 state delegates which equals 34 pledged national delegates.
Progressives and Bernie delegates adopted a platform that reflects Bernie Sanders’ message at the Texas State Democratic Convention.
- Banned lobbyists from becoming superdelegates
- Limited the number of superdelegates to no more than 10% of the total number of delegates
- Adopted a resolution to make the minimum wage $15 for non-tipped jobs, and to make tipped jobs start at $7.25 per hour.
Nebraska’s State Democratic Convention went a bit further with voting to abolish superdelegates to electing an anti-pipeline activist and Bernie Sanders supporter as the Party’s State chairwoman.
They even approved a resolution that calls on superdelegates to base their votes at the Democratic National Convention on the results of Nebraska’s March 5th presidential caucus.
In Washington, the Democratic Convention voted to officially endorse Bernie Sanders.
You must be logged in to post a comment.