Here are the facts:
- The sea level has rose over 6 inches in the last century and in the last decade the rate has nearly doubled.
- Global temperatures have increased since 1880 with most of the warming occurring after 1970 and the last 10 years have been the warmest.
- The oceans are absorbing most of the increased heat, with the oceans warming about 0.30 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969.
- The ice sheets are shrinking. Greenland lost 36-60 cubic miles of ice per year between 2002 & 2006 and Antarctica lost about 36 cubic miles between 2002 & 2005.
- Arctic sea ice is melting.
- Glaciers are retreating everywhere including in the Alps, Himalayas, and Rockies.
- We are having more extreme weather and the number of record high temperatures has been increasing while the number of record low temperatures are decreasing.
*Source: NASA Climate Change
The climate change deniers in Congress refuse to open their eyes and wake up. They refuse to protect the environment for my generation and generations to come.
This is why I stand with the 31 United States Senators who led an overnight session a couple of weeks ago urging their fellow colleagues to act on climate change. I also stand with President Barack H. Obama and his plan to combat climate change.
President Obama’s Plan to Combat Climate Change:
- Put limits on how much carbon pollution power plants can create
- Double the production of clean energy by 2020
- Prepare the U.S. for the impacts of climate change.
I urge you to stand up and take action on the climate! Please stand up with me and hold our elected officials accountable. Go here to help out: #ClimateAction